Monday, November 10, 2008

A list. And a request.

So, ten days into NaBloPoMo, and I'm struggling for ideas. So I need your help. What are you burning to know about me? Or about anything? Seen an interesting meme lately? Help me fill some space!

brixton wants to know what my favorite (or least favorite) aspect of living in the lovely Champaign-Urbana area is.

Well, there's an answer for both. My favorite aspect thus far, I think, has been the people. I've met a lot of cool and interesting people, both within the university community and without. For all my grumbling about being stuck at home all day, it's been nice to meet a bunch of folks who I enjoy spending time with when I can get out of the apartment. I mean heck, I've even joined a bowling league! It's made this adventure a lot easier on a day to day basis.

Least favorite thing? Driving. It seems strange to complain about driving in a town where no one on TV or radio ever gives a traffic report, but it's true. And I'll be honest, a good bit of it can be laid at the feet of the university students. They either drive poorly or recklessly, and they walk as though the combustion engine hasn't been invented yet. And then there's the people on bicycles. And I say this as someone who is a big advocate of bicycles. On a daily basis, I watch bicycle blow through red lights, attempt to pass me on the right (at speed) at intersections when I'm turning right, and my personal favorite, ride on the sidewalk. It's no wonder that when I'm on my bike, I see drivers watch me with a combination of fear and annoyance; they can't anticipate that someone on a bike will act as though they are a part of traffic. All things considered, I'm much happier when I can walk somewhere here in town.

So thanks for the question, brixton! Who's next?

No comments: