Saturday, November 11, 2006

The temperature at which paper burns...

We just finished watching Fahrenheit 451 - I've always been a big Ray Bradbury fan, but this is one that always sticks with me, maybe because of my love of books, or maybe because I fear it.

This is a science fiction book that I've always feared woud become true, and when you take a look around, a lot of it has. People feeling that TV characters are more their family than their actual family. Pills that take away the pain of the "real world", and a feeling that what's going on in the rest of the world has absolutely no bearing on their own lives...

There is a real fear of ideas that we don't like in this world. I'm not sure where it comes from, and it's not always clearly expressed- it's implied. Today it comes in the form of derision, mockery- race baiting, ideological stubborness, general stupidity. We hide behind and cherish the clever words that come out of our mouths, but we still want to quash the words and dreams of others, just because we can- it's not for any real disagreement or real reason, it's just because we can.

It's no wonder there will always be the "anti-social" element who wants to hid behind a book, and nourish their creative souls, instead of engaging the idiocy they encounter around them.

Now if you'll excuse me, I want to go get some reading in before I dive into tonight's social situation.

No comments: