Thursday, December 06, 2007

Funny how time flies.

I'm always fascinated by how things connect in my mind. I got all excited this morning when I found out that the Indigo Girls are coming to Bloomington (about 45 minutes from here) at the beginning of February. It's been a long time since I've seen them live, but I hadn't quite realized how long ago. Almost another lifetime ago.

It was September 22, 2002. It was at the very end of a four year long relationship- we had already broken up, but were trying to "stay friends" and I had already bought the tickets, so we went to the show. Front row seats in a pretty small venue- one of the better ticket scores I'd made, getting those, because they had a big fanbase in the area, so I really had to be quick. It was a great show, but the company made the night awkward to say the least.

If I remember correctly (there's not set list online for this one), it was month later I started therapy. I had lost myself in that relationship, and without it, I had no idea what to do with myself. Seeing a therapist was probably the best decision I could have made at that stage in my life. It was a long, occasionally painful process, but I was able to reclaim my personality and find my passions again.

And here I am, five years later. Five years? Wow. I don't even know the me of five years ago anymore, and I have to say I couldn't be happier about that. I'm a much stronger, happier person, and although I have my moments, "I am more me", as Peter Bjorn & John said. So I feel like now will be as good a time as any to reunite with some old musical friends, don't you think? :)

2 comments:

Cycho Librarian said...

Weren't you at the Indigo Girls show at F&M in what was it... 1993? That was 14 years ago!

Steve said...

Now wait just a second, young man. This was a post of reflection, not a post meant to make me feel old! And for the record, I believe it was spring 1994. :)