Thursday, October 11, 2007

Uniform madness...

(it's an oxymoron, see- uniform implies order, while madness implies chaos? but you probably figured that out already, didn't you?)

Over the past year or so, I've become a regular reader of Uni Watch, which, as the website says, is dedicated to "The obsessive study of athletics aesthetics". I find the minutiae that Paul Lukas and his team dig up to be fascinating, and I've found myself watching sporting events, such as a White Sox game a couple of weeks ago, and trying to understand why they'd wear special unis to commemorate "Halfway to St. Patrick's Day" instead of just enjoying the game (it really was distracting!).

Anyways, my original reason for all this was to make you aware of this week's Uni Watch article on ESPN.com- I found it hilarious and fascinating. And I would imagine that it's articles like this that create jobs like "uniform spellchecker" in sports stadiums across the country.

On a similar (although not uni-related) note, last night I had the pleasure of watching the documentary "Helvetica", which was, as the title promises, a film about a font. A font that is so ubiquitous, so everyday, that you can't go five minutes without seeing it, or a version of it. And this has made it both beloved and reviled over the last 50 years. It's a fantastic documentary that takes you into the hitherto unknown world of typeface design, and I think, gives great insight into the last 50 years of graphic design in general. It's touring the world right now, and I could not recommend it more highly. The website has the dates and locations of screenings.

No comments: